1625 Clay Street, Oakland, CA
McGrath Properties completed an $8 million structural retrofit and historical renovation of the nine-story, 43,000 square foot former PG&E headquarters building at 1625 Clay Street, Oakland. Formerly occupied by PG&E from 1922-1975, the building was vacant until its acquisition by McGrath Properties in 1996. Registered as a national historical landmark, the building's construction was completed under the guidance of the National Park Service. In 2001, McGrath Properties was recognized with a "Partners in Preservation" Award:
"A gorgeous renovation of this handsome, 1920s brick and terracotta, Renaissance Revival building with its high arched entry which was built as the new "downtown" PG&E headquarters. This National Register building was designed by Charles Dickey, Architect, who also did the Claremont Hotel and Rotunda Building. The restoration shows good attention to detail with its sensitive use of new materials, lovingly restored copper window sills, repair and hand repainting of the glazed terra cotta of the first level." - Oakland Heritage Alliance
Today the building is 100% leased to tenants including Turner Construction, Omnicom (Ketchum), and Tom Sawyer Software.